Saturday, May 19, 2012

The Start of a New Beginning


The humidity was the first thing I noticed when I stepped outside the airport. It wasn’t oppressive, just engulfing. Not worse than what you experience in Ohio during the summer though, so no worries there. I had just landed at 4:30am local time with Phu, a classmate participating in the GSE program in Bangalore, after flying for over 16 hours. We made our way over to the bus stop and found a bus going into the city. On the way we both felt a strange familiarity from the sights – to myself, the sparse stretch of shops and buildings looked both similar yet very different from suburban Kigali City in Rwanda. Sitting on the bus, we both began to realize that we had finally arrived in Bangalore.

In spite of having traveled for a day and a half through 10.5 time zones, I felt surprisingly awake. I realized it must be because in US time, it was late evening which is the when I’m most active. My trip had started at 5:30am Wednesday morning, just outside of Wooster, arriving in Cleveland at 6:45 in plenty time for my morning bus to Chicago. The past three days had been a flurry of late night packing, closing procedures for ResLife, reassembling beds, moving stuff into storage in the wee hours of the morning and emptying out my room, so I had only been sleeping a few hours a night. In Chicago, I had some time to kill before meeting Phu so I had my typical Subway traveling lunch and got my hair cut (finally). We flew out of O’Hare International airport with Etihad Airways at 9:30pm, and had a 3-hour stopover in Abu Dhabi. Flying for 13 hours straight in our first leg was the longest I had done before, but it went perfectly smooth – the food was good, there were plenty of movies to watch, and drinks were free.

It is in the middle of the night as I am writing this; I woke up from jetlag around 3:30am. I feel quite accomplished from my first 24 hours: I found my way to the project office for DreamConnect with an autorickshaw where I met the staff, we located a PG room for me (Rs 6,500/month incl. 16 meals a week), and I learned how to use the bus system. The room is literally 2 minutes walk from the office, there’s a gym right around the corner, and there are plenty of shops nearby so I really like the arrangement. I have to go back to DreamConnect today and get started on planning work, and on Sunday I’ll probably move my stuff into the room. I’m super excited to explore the rest of the city and try out all the great food. Let’s see how long I can go without getting an upset stomach, haha.

As corny as it may sound, I truly believe that this is the start of a new beginning for me. If I see the things I expect to here in Karnatake, this will be an invaluable experience for me that will sit with me forever. Moreover, it may well promise a whole new chapter of my life in South Asia. 

3 comments:

  1. Anders in India... Sounds interesting! I envy you... Ha ha haaa... India must be fascinating: the profuse pungent perfumes... Exubherrant energy! Cinamon Spices... Natural scenery... Never been there but that's how I imagine it!
    I look forward to hearing more of your experiences! And I'll definetely join your blog! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you have a fantastic time!!! Sounds like a great start - even if your sleep schedule may be funky for awhile. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm gonna keep an eye on you Anders and make sure you don't do anything silly ;)
    This blog is such a great idea, you're gonna have amazing memories afterwards. I love you so much and I hope you have a wonderful, amazing, life-changing time - because you truly deserve it! Take care! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete