Monday, June 25, 2012

Mysore Palace

After popping Ibuprofene throughout the day (which my friends can attest to being abnormal - I usually avoid medication like the plague), I felt much better yesterday afternoon and took a bus to downtown Mysore. I really wanted to see the Palace while I had the chance, especially since they only light it up once a week on Sunday nights.
I grabbed a quick Massala Puri on the way
Mysore is an old historic town, with settlements dating back to the 16th century, and was the capital of the Mysore Kingdom until 1947. It's rich culture and history has given rise to very beautiful architecture, which my camera loved to document as I walked around a bit. Sunday evenings at the palace have free entry, with gates opening at 6:30. I walked 2KM from the north to the south (official) entrance, which had a small bazaar outside of it and throngs of buzzing people. Mysore is definitely a big tourist destination - I hadn't been bugged by so many street hawkers since I came to India, and they all wanted to sell more or less the same things (most of it wooden toys, jewellery boxes or hand fans).



 As I walked back to the main gate, people had already started streaming inside the palace grounds. There were massive amounts of people inside! People of all ages, local and foreign tourists, families sitting on the grass and enjoying the beautiful twilight weather... I normally find people an ugly disturbance to scenic places, but the crowds were oddly peaceful to look at.




When they switched on the 9000 tiny lights that line the entire palace grounds, the crowd oooh-ed and applauded. I turned around, and was astounded by the main Palace building - beautiful simply does not describe it! I was so absorbed by the sight, for once I didn't even feel like taking photos of it (but that feeling quickly subsided - admitted, I'm a camera-whore).


As the evening grew darker, I went looking for a bus station to go back to the hostel in Hebbal in time for dinner. Turns out the western gate opens leads right towards the main local bus station, so lucky me. It's a slightly uncommon route, so there was a huge crowd of people that ran for the bus when it arrived with a lot of shoving and elbowing - I had to shout at a guy who got pissed at me because I blocked the way to allow others to exit the bus first. On the bus, my pants had an unfortunate encounter with a seat freshly wet by a baby, and I talked a bit with the guy who sat next to me (a retired army engineer who had just arrived in Mysore to take up a new job). I barely got out at the right stop, thanks to a random passenger who I think had spotted me earlier.
I loved the name of this kiosk so much I just had to photograph it.
Also, they make good mango milkshakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment